Canine Flu Vaccination at the Chatham Animal Hospital
What Is The Canine Flu?
The canine flu is a highly contagious illness that can affect dogs of all breeds and sizes. Outbreaks have been reported in at least 40 states. Dogs exposed to the influenza viruses that cause canine flu can easily transmit it to other animals, even if they are not showing any clinical signs.
If signs and symptoms do occur, they are typically mild, but can affect certain dogs much more severely. Symptoms include:
- Persistent cough that is unresponsive to traditional treatment
- Discharge from the nose or eyes
- Decreased food intake
If your dog is frequently around other dogs, it may be at risk for exposure to the canine flu. You should talk to your Cary vet about whether you should have your animal vaccinated.
Effective Protection Your Dog Needs at the Price You Want
Traditionally, veterinary hospitals administer 2 separate vaccines for canine influenza. One protects against a specific strain of virus known as the H3N8, while the other protects against a strain known as H3N2.
Our Cary veterinarian team is proud to now offer the newest vaccine, known as a bivalent vaccine, which protects against both canine influenza strains. Here’s why this matters to you:
- It’s effective. We believe one comprehensive vaccine is the better course of action for protecting your pet against this illness.
- It’s easier on your dog. Receiving one vaccine (instead of 2) can be less stressful on your animal, both physically and mentally.
- It’s easier on your wallet. We’re providing this new bivalent vaccine for $35–nearly half of what you would pay for 2 separate vaccines that normally cost around $29 each.
If your dog has had both H3N8 and H3N2 vaccines in the past year, then he or she can receive one bivalent vaccine that will be good for one year. If your dog has had only 1 vaccine previously, or if it’s been longer than a year, then he or she will need 1 vaccine followed by a second booster shot within 4 weeks.
Is Your Dog Protected From The Canine Flu? Schedule A Vaccination Appointment Today With Our Cary Veterinarian Team
There’s nothing more painful than watching your animal suffer, especially if it’s suffering from a preventable illness. At the Chatham Animal Hospital, our Cary veterinarian team we’re proud to offer a complimentary physical examination from now until August 1st to all dogs who are up-to-date on their vaccines and who have had a physical at Chatham within the past 12 months.
Don’t take a chance on your dog’s health! To take advantage of our special offer, call our Cary veterinarian team today at (919) 469-8114 and get your dog vaccinated against the canine flu soon!
Please call our Cary veterinarian Dr. Krakowski, Dr. Bailey,
or Dr. Craddock at Chatham Animal Hospital today at
(919) 469-8114 if you would like to discuss this further!